Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2016
Executive Chef Rocky Dunnam, CEC gives us a taste of what’s on the menu for the upcoming FSS Mardi Gras Party on Feb. 6, 2016.
*for more information please see the EVENTS tab on this blog
BUTTER-POACHED SHRIMP & SCALLOPS
on Jalapeno Cheese Grits
INGREDIENTS: Poached Shrimp & Scallops
¼ lb. Gulf White/Pink Shrimp
(size: 16-20; Extra Jumbo)
¼ lb. Bay Scallops
½ lb. Unsalted Butter
1 tbsp. Water
1 tsp. Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
INGREDIENTS: Jalapeno Cheese Grits
1 pkg (28g) Quaker Instant Grits
¼ cup Poaching Butter (from above)
¼ cup Vegetable Stock
1 ea Jalapeno (minced; without seeds)
¼ cup Smoked Cheddar (grated)
PROCEDURE: Poached Shrimp & Scallops
1. Add water and chunks of butter to create a beurre monte in sauté pan.
2. Heat to 160-180F for poaching.
3. Add seasoned shrimp and scallops.
4. Poach for 3-5 minutes; or until shrimp an scallops are vibrant white color.
5. Reserve poaching butter for grits.
PROCEDURE: Jalapeno Cheese Grits
1. Add poaching butter and stock to sauce pot; bring to a boil.
2. Add grits to pot, stirring consistently.
3. Fold in jalapeno and cheese.
1. Spoon grits onto center of plate.
2. Place shrimp and scallop on grits.
3. Garnish with drizzle of poaching butter, black pepper, and lemon.
Or…you can just give me a call, and I’ll make it for you! 😉
Chef Rocky Dunnam, CEC